Leftover licenses are available to both resident and non-resident hunters. These are the limited licenses remaining after the draw and leftover draw processes.
Leftover licenses are on sale. For anyone looking to purchase a leftover, licenses are available at license agents, Colorado Parks and Wildlife offices, by phone (1-800-244-5613), mail-order and online.
Sale Start Dates:
- 9am August 6 for anyone looking to purchase a leftover in person at license agents or CPW offices, by phone (1-800-244-5613) or mail order (form below)
- 12:01am August 7 for ONLINE sales.
This staggered approach is taken to eliminate Internet sales from competing with in-person sales for the first day. This process still allows non-residents to have access through the telephone (1-800-244-5613) and mail order (form available below), which would be the same as standing in line at an agent. This also allows license agents to have the opportunity to be an active part of the sales process.
Those who plan to purchase leftover licenses at license agents or CPW offices should be prepared before they arrive. This will help the process run as efficiently as possible.
If you are planning on purchasing a license, be sure to have the following:
- Your driver's license/state issued identification card,
- Proof of hunter education: hunter education card or a Colorado hunting license with verified hunter education,
- Your social security number (anyone 12 years of age and older are required to give their social security number, if not already on file),
- Your customer identification number (CID), if you have previously purchased a license in Colorado,
- Proof of residency , if you are planning to purchase a resident license,
- A prioritized list of hunt codes for licenses you are interested in.
If purchasing a license for someone else (can only be done IN PERSON), the buyer must bring the following for the hunter:
- A clear copy of both sides of their driver's license/state issued identification card,
- A clear copy of both sides of their hunter education card or a previous Colorado hunting license with verified hunter education,
- Their social security number (anyone 12 years of age and older are required to give their social security number, if not already on file),
- Their customer identification number (CID), if they have previously purchased a license in Colorado,
- A prioritized list of hunt codes they are interested in.
IMPORTANT: One cannot buy a license for someone else OVER THE PHONE. The option to buy for someone else only works IN PERSON.
MAIL-IN FORM: Nonresidents and those who will absolutely not have access to license agents or CPW offices will still have the opportunity to buy leftover licenses. This can be done by mailing in a leftover license purchase form.
WHEN WILL THE LEFTOVER LICENSE LIST BE UPDATED? When the list is available in late July, it will remain static until leftover sales begin. At that time, the online list will be updated every 15 minutes.
MILITARY PREFERENCE: Any active duty member of the United States Armed Forces stationed at any military facility in Colorado and actively deployed outside the United States, or any active duty member of the United States Armed Forces who is a Colorado resident and is deployed outside the United States, shall be allowed preference for the purchase of leftover licenses.
NEED MORE INFO? See the Big Game Hunting Regulations Brochure or speak to a Colorado Parks and Wildlife Hunt Planner at (303) 297-1192.