The following are some rules that apply to changing Big Game limited licenses.
License changes that can be made at any Wildlife Office:
- A limited license can be changed from one season to another provided the original quota was "floating" for the seasons involved. Example: A hunter would like to change a cow elk license for unit 22 from the third season to the second season. Since the quota floats between three seasons it is a valid change. (Keep in mind that the 1st season is a draw-only season for elk and floating quotas will only float between 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. Licenses cannot be changed to the first season unless there are leftovers for that particular area.) Moose licenses also float between seasons and may be changed to another moose license for that unit. Example: a hunter would like to change a bull moose license for unit 6 muzzleloader to unit 6 rifle. Since the quota floats between seasons it is a valid change.
- A general season bull elk license can be changed to any other season for which a general bull license is valid.
- A limited elk license can be changed to a general season license for a bull.
- A limited license can be changed to another limited license if there are leftover licenses for the hunt being requested. This change cannot be done until the leftover draw is completed and the leftovers have gone on sale. The person has to go through the leftover process that is being done at that particular office. (Wristband in Denver, first come first served, etc.)
- A general season elk license can be changed to a leftover limited license if there are leftover licenses for the hunt being requested. This change cannot be done until leftovers have gone on sale.
- General season archery elk licenses can be changed to general season rifle elk licenses and the other way around.
- A general season bear license can only be changed to another season if the person holds a valid deer or elk license for the season and unit they wish to change the bear license to.
- Remember, there are no general season deer licenses.
General Procedures and Guidelines:
There are no season participation rules for deer & elk. Bear season participation still applies except for the plains seasons.
There is no charge for a license change.
All license changes must be made prior to the start of the season on the original license or the applicant must have proof that s/he did not hunt.
Preference points will not be reinstated with any change.
If there are questions about any change or you feel uncomfortable about the request, you may call or send the request to the Refund Office (303) 291-7208.
Information on obtaining a refund or preference point reinstatement can be found on the license refund application .
To insure uniformity throughout the licensing system, all requests to change units or areas on limited licenses due to disputed error by the CPW, all license transfers, any preference point issues, and all appeals of decisions made in Denver and Regional offices must be submitted in writing to the License Review Committee in Denver. If you send an appeal to the License Review Committee, please be sure to send all information available that pertains to the situation. If you disagree with a decision, please feel free to contact the Refunds office or the License Review Committee to offer reasons for your disagreement. This information could also be helpful in future decisions.
There are some requests and changes we cannot make, but every attempt is made to be fair in accordance with our liberal refund policy .
(Footnote: in this policy, the commonly used term “license exchange” is replaced with the proper “license change.”)