Moffat, Rio BlancoGMU:
||Nearest CPW Office:|
|C/O Buffalo Horn Ranch
||73485 Hwy 64|
|13825 County Road 7
||Meeker, CO 81641|
|Meeker, CO 81641
||970-878-6090 (office) |
|970-878-6077 (fax) |
|970-878-4088 (fax) |
Location: Buffalo Horn Ranch is located approximately 15 miles north of Meeker on County Road 7.
Area Maps: USGS Quads: Devils Hole Gulch, White Rock, Price Creek
National Forest: None
BLM: Meeker & Rangely
Species Available: Elk, Deer
Terrain and Access: Elevations vary from 7,000 ft. to 7,500 ft. The ranch lays on the southwest side of the Danforth Hills a low mountain range. The topography is hilly with pinyon juniper and oakbrush as the primary vegetation. Ranch roads provide vehicle access to main areas of the ranch.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
Check the Ranching for Wildlife main page for season dates.
There are no antler-point restrictions for any of the ranches. No over-the-counter licenses are offered on these properties. Ranching for Wildlife licenses are open to Colorado residents only. Licenses are only for the season and ranch on the license. For more information on season dates and application deadlines, see the Big Game Hunting Brochure.
Ranch rules from previous seasons are provided for a general perspective. Ranch rules are negotiated annually and some rule changes may take affect this year.
BUFFALO HORN RANCH
Ranch Hunting Rules
- The ranch will be divided into six hunting areas. Each area will have access through a designated gate. A maximum number of hunters will be allowed in each hunting area.
- Hunters must check in and out at the ranch lodge one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset of each hunting day. Please check in and out with the designated Buffalo Horn Ranch person on duty.
- Buffalo Horn Ranch makes available to its public hunters game retrieval by BHR staff for a minimum of $50.00.
- Motorized vehicles are not allowed access on the property except in the case of game retrieval. This limits the movement of game as much as possible. As proven in the past, your hunting success will most likely be higher if everyone respects this rule. All vehicles should be parked at the designated gate or area where you will be hunting. A BHR parking permit (issued at check in) must be visibly displayed on your vehicle dashboard. Methods of access from vehicle parking areas include horseback and walking. The layout of the ranch readily allows for this type of access as it is long and relatively narrow.
- Please do not bring your dog, as dogs are not allowed in the hunting areas.
- Each licensed hunter is allowed to carry one gun while hunting on the Ranch.
- Licensed hunters may bring one non-hunting companion while on the Ranch. The non-hunting companion must remain the same during the length of your hunt and may not hold a valid regular deer or elk hunting license for the same time frame as your hunt.
- All areas surrounding dwellings and livestock handling facilities will be closed to hunting for the safety of residents and agricultural lessees and livestock.
- We cannot accommodate overnight camping on the ranch. Camping and motels are available in/near Meeker.
- Please do not start fires or litter on the ranch.
- Hunters and companions must sign a liability release form prior to hunting.
- After you have harvested your animal and are checking out, please fill out the questionnaire that will be provided to you at that time. This helps us to continually provide better service to our public guests.
Motels are located in Meeker.
Retrieval of game is responsibility of hunter. Ranch will assist with retrieval for a fee, which varies depending upon location of the carcass.
There is no camping on adjacent land.