||Nearest CPW Office: |
|Steamboat Springs Office|
|P. O. Box 897
||P.O. Box 775777|
|Craig, CO 81626
||Steamboat Springs, CO 80477|
||970-870-2197 (office) |
||970-871-2853 (fax) |
Location: Cross Mountain Ranch is located approximately 25 miles south of Hayden and County Roads 29, 37, 37A, 37B, 53, and 55 traverse portions of the property.
Cross Mountain North map
Cross Mountain South map
Area Maps: USGS Quads: Milner, Mt. Harris, Hayden, Rattlesnake Butte, Dunckley, Hayden Gulch, Pagoda, Dunckley Pass, Pagoda Peak
National Forest: Routt
Species Available: Elk, Deer
Terrain and Access: Elevations vary from 6,900 ft. to 7,900 ft. The ranch is the upper Basin of the Williams Fork River. This Basin drains north and consists of several side drainages that are separated by low ridges. Vegetation varies from sagebrush parks in the lower areas to aspen and heavy timber on the upper slopes. The access is restricted to walk-in from dispersed designated parking areas.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
Check the Ranching for Wildlife main page for season dates.
There are no antler-point restrictions for any of the ranches. No over-the-counter licenses are offered on these properties. Ranching for Wildlife licenses are open to Colorado residents only. Licenses are only for the season and ranch on the license. For more information on season dates and application deadlines, see the Big Game Hunting Brochure.
Ranch rules from previous seasons are provided for a general perspective. Ranch rules are negotiated annually and some rule changes may take affect this year.
CROSS MOUNTAIN RANCH
Ranch Hunting Rules
Orientation meeting is scheduled for the afternoon before the hunting season at the Pyramid Hunting Lodge. At the meeting detailed maps are provided to hunters. Hunters are initially assigned to certain areas within the Ranch so we don’t have too much pressure in one or two particular areas. Camping is allowed only with prior arrangement and at designated locations. Respect our land and use only existing open roads and leave a clean campsite. Please make sure to pack your trash out with you when your hunt is finished.
The Ranch would greatly appreciate your cooperation in keeping traffic to a minimum in the mornings and evenings when hunting is at its best. Please retrieve your game during the middle of the day between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm. During this time you may use an ATV or motorized vehicles, please respect other hunters and use these times. The Ranch does offer game retrieval for an additional fee if you wish to use our staff.
Camp and park in designated areas only.
- Camp and park in designated areas only
- Pack all trash from campsites.
- Bury all human waste.
- No open fires unless approved by ranch staff, and please smoke only inside vehicles.
- No pets or hunting dogs are allowed on the ranch.
- Motorized access restrictions as follows: Hunting access – before daylight; Game retrieval – 11:00 am to 3:00 pm; Hunting departure and further game retrieval – after legal hunting hours; No motorized access outside of these hours.
- Motorized access during wet weather conditions will be limited to ATVs to protect against resource and road damage.
- All motorized access must be entered through gates marked with Cross Mountain Ranch signs.
- Motorized vehicles must remain on developed roads.
- Parking permits must be visible on the dash of each vehicle while parked on the Ranch.
- Cross Mountain ID cards must be carried along with your hunting license while on the Ranch.
- Cross Mountain Ranch will be available to pack animals at a price of $150 - $200 based upon packing circumstances to be determined at the time of the pack.
- The Pyramid Lodge is the Outfitting Headquarters for Ranch information or emergencies. Phone numbers will be provided to successful applicants.
- Hunters are responsible for carrying a map and hunting only on Cross Mountain property - Trespassing will result in loss of hunting privileges and possible criminal prosecution.
- Hunters must abide by all Ranch rules, state and federal laws and regulations.
- BLM and National Forest lands are off limits to hunting with RFW licenses.
- We ask that you remain in your assigned hunting area. Contact Cross Mountain Ranch staff if you wish to hunt in another area of the ranch.
- Upon completing your hunt please check in with the Pyramid Lodge or with Cross Mountain Ranch staff so that we can compile accurate hunt success data and collect detailed maps before you depart.
Cross Mountain RFW is located in an area where elk are substantially over herd objective and the elk herd is migratory. The ranch is working with CPW to harvest antlerless elk to assist in achieving herd objectives. Since antlered elk do not always remain on the ranch and harvest levels off the ranch are high, the size of bulls available to hunters should not be considered "trophy" class.
Motels are located in Hayden. Camping permitted at Dunckley trailhead.
KOA Campground near Craig.