6, 16, 161, 171
Nearest CPW Office:
|Amy Buttle or Dave Sturm
||Steamboat Springs Office|
|P.O. Box 714
||P.O. Box 775777|
|Encampment, WY 82325
||Steamboat Springs, CO 80477|
|970-870-2197 (office); 970-871-2853 (fax)|
Silver Spur Ranch is located in North Park, near the town of Walden. There are multiple ranch tracts on the east and west side of North Park, and immediately north of Walden.
Silver Spur Overview map
Silver Spur East map
Silver Spur Walden Area map
Silver Spur West map
Area Maps: USGS Quads: Jackson County USGS 1:50,000 : sheet 1, 2, 3
National Forest: Routt
Species Available: Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Moose
Terrain and Access: The ranch ranges in elevation from 8,000 ft. to about 9,500 ft. The vegetation varies from river bottom willow and hay meadow complexes, rolling sagebrush hills, with some aspen and mixed conifer forest. The east side ranches run along the western edge of the Medicine Bow Mountains from about Gould, Colorado to about Cowdrey, Colorado. These ranch units are drained by the Michigan and Canadian Rivers. The west side ranches are near the Routt National Forest boundaries north of Jackson County Road 20 at the Lone Pine unit and roughly, south of Jackson County Road 6W at the Hill unit. The Hill unit is drained by Lake Creek from north to south, and the Lone Pine unit is drained by Lone Pine Creek west to east. The Bighorn and Diamond J units are drained from south to north by the North Platte River and the Michigan River, respectively. Access on all ranch units is by 4-wheel drive on existing ranch roads.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
Check the Ranching for Wildlife main page for season dates.
There are no antler-point restrictions for any of the ranches. No over-the-counter licenses are offered on these properties. Ranching for Wildlife licenses are open to Colorado residents only. Licenses are only for the season and ranch on the license. For more information on season dates and application deadlines, see the Big Game Hunting Brochure.
Ranch rules from previous seasons are provided for a general perspective. Ranch rules are negotiated annually and some rule changes may take affect this year.
SILVER SPUR RANCHES
Ranch Hunting Rules
Any violation of these rules or of Colorado State Statutes or Regulations will mean revocation of hunting privileges on the property for the hunter.
- Maps will be sent to successful applicants, the maps show approximate ranch boundaries, areas of the ranch open and closed to hunting and for directions to the ranch. Please note that the maps are basic outlines of the ranch. Refer to actual signs at the ranch to locate boundaries.
- The ranch is divided into several large hunting units. Hunters are distributed across these units to distribute harvest and provide quality hunting experience. All hunters must check in daily with the hunt supervisor at the Arapaho Ranch unit in Walden, Colorado before hunting and check out daily when leaving the property, unless accompanied by an authorized guide. Hunters will not be allowed to walk onto the property from public roads of adjoining properties. Some areas of the ranch require the use of guides, other areas allow unguided hunting opportunity. Guide services, when required, are free of charge to the hunter.
- Hunters should plan on attending an orientation meeting at 6:00 pm on the evening prior to the start of their hunt.
- No camping on the ranch is permitted, however, overnight camping is available in the town of Walden. For further information, contact Colorado Parks and Wildlife in Walden or the Chamber of Commerce.
- No fires are permitted on the ranch property.
- Dogs or other pets are not allowed on ranch property.
- All vehicles must stay on designated roads. No motorcycles, ATV vehicles, or snowmobiles will be allowed on the property.
- A maximum of one non-hunter per authorized, licensed hunter will be allowed to accompany the hunter on the property. Only authorized, licensed hunters may bear arms.
- The maximum speed limit on all ranch roads is 15 mph.
- All hunting will be done on foot. No firing from vehicles. No hunting from horseback will be allowed.
- If you wound an animal, you must make every reasonable effort to track and kill the animal you wound.
- Hunting small game or birds and fishing is not allowed.
- Livestock concentration areas within the ranch are closed to hunting. Areas around the ranch residences are also closed. Most of these areas are marked on the map but some may only be posted, without being listed on the map.
- Please be aware that extreme caution should be used to put out all cigarettes, cigar butts, pipe ashes and matches. The ground may be dry and catastrophic fires are easily started. In case of emergency please report any fire immediately at the main ranch headquarters or by calling numbers provided to successful applicants.
- No drinking of alcoholic beverages will be permitted on the ranch property during hunting hours.
- When you have completed your hunt, successful or not, you will need to check out at the Arapaho unit or with your ranch hunt escort before leaving. We depend upon the reports to help improve our service to hunters and our joint wildlife management efforts with CPW.
- We expect our ranch staff as well as our guests to adhere to all game laws, regulations and our ranch rules. We uphold the highest standards of fair chase and ethical hunting. With agreement of CPW violations of game laws or ranch rules may result in loss of hunting privileges and /or criminal prosecution.
- Gates on the ranch should be left as is. If gates are open, leave open. If gates are closed, please close them behind you.
Motels and camping are available in Walden.