||Nearest CPW Office:|
P.O. Box 771710
Steamboat Springs, CO 80477
P.O. Box 1181
Meeker, CO 81641
970-879-6164 (phone & fax)
Location: Wolf Mountain Ranch is located about 5 ½ miles east of Hayden and north of Hwy 40.
Wolf Mountain map
Area Maps: USGS Quads:
Routt County USGS 1:50,000 – Sheets 3, 4
National Forest: Routt NF
BLM: Craig, Meeker
Species Available: Elk
Terrain and Access: Elevations vary from 6,500 to 8,600 ft. The ranch is located in the rolling sagebrush hills that are the lower slopes of the Elkhead Mountains. Upper slopes have some pinyon juniper cover. Ranch roads provide adequate access to main parts of the ranch. These roads can become very muddy during wet weather. Hunters should be equipped with 4-wheel drive vehicle.
Average Success Rates: Please see Participating Ranches.
There are no antler-point restrictions for any of the ranches. No over-the-counter licenses are offered on these properties. Ranching for Wildlife licenses are open to Colorado residents only. Licenses are only for the season and ranch on the license. For more information on season dates and application deadlines, see the Big Game Hunting Brochure.
Ranch rules from previous seasons are provided for a general perspective. Ranch rules are negotiated annually and some rule changes may take affect this year.
WOLF MOUNTAIN RANCH
- Hunter check-in will be at the Wolf Mountain Ranch Headquarters on Routt County Rd 70, between 5:15 am and 5:45 am each day. Check-out is at the same location and not later than 1 hour after the end of daily shooting hours. Check-out is mandatory each day even if you do not have game to check – this is for all hunter’s safety. Harvested elk must be properly tagged and presented at the Headquarters for accurate reporting of harvest to CPW.
- Firearms must be left in your vehicle at check-in and check-out.
- All State hunting laws will be enforced on the ranch. CPW staff may patrol this ranch and will be notified of rule violations, which could result in forfeiture of your hunt, as well as appropriate legal action being taken. Trespassing will result in prosecution and loss of hunting privileges.
- 4x4 access is limited to improved roads only.
- ATVs are allowed, horses and snowmobiles are not. ATVs are allowed off-road only for retrieval of game. Please be considerate of other hunters when you decide on the time and manner of game retrieval. All hunters must make every reasonable effort to retrieve wounded game.
- The ranch is divided into several large hunting units. Each unit will have a limited number of hunters that will be allowed access to that unit each day.
- Units will be assigned on a first come basis. To avoid overcrowding you must hunt on the unit you are assigned for a full day. You can change tracts with approval of Ranch staff for the next days hunt.
- Be certain of your target and that you are shooting in a safe direction. Be aware of other hunters, livestock, ranch personnel, and buildings.
- No pre-season scouting access is permitted.
- Each hunter may bring one guest; however, no firearm may be carried by that person. Hunters and non-hunting guest must sign an acknowledgement of ranch rules and a liability waiver.
- Camping on the Ranch is not allowed.
- No fires and smoking is not allowed, except inside your vehicle.
- Dogs, liquor, or illegal drugs are not allowed on the Ranch. Consumption of alcohol is not permitted on the Ranch.
- All hunters are responsible for picking up and packing out their trash. Please bury all human waste.
- When passing through gates please leave them as you found them. Cutting fences is not allowed.
- Road closures in certain areas may occur due to extreme or dangerous conditions. Hunters will be notified of such closures at check-in.
- You are a welcome guest and your successful hunt is an important part of our cooperative wildlife management program. We do not allow hunting for any game animals other than that authorized by your Ranching for Wildlife elk license.
Wolf Mountain Ranch is located in an area where elk herds have been over herd objective. It is now at or approaching objective and cow license levels have been reduced in response. This is a migratory elk herd. The ranch continues its work with CPW to assist in achieving herd objectives. Since elk do not always remain on the ranch and harvest levels off the ranch are high, the size of bulls available to hunters should not be considered "trophy" class.
Hunter is responsible for retrieval of game. Vanatta Outfitters staff is available to pack game for a fee of $150.
Motels are located in Craig, Steamboat Springs, or Hayden. There is a KOA Campground in Craig and Steamboat Springs.