Read this page before taking the exam; it contains important information!
Important: To take this exam, you must have a Customer Identification Number (CID). (If you choose to take the "practice" version of the exam, you do not need a CID number.) You will be asked to enter your CID number on the "About You" screen. This is necessary for matching of your CID number with your lion education certification number—the number you will be given after passing this exam— in the licensing system so you can purchase a mountain lion license.
If you do not already have a CID number, or have lost track of it, please contact any Colorado Parks and Wildlife office, or call the main number, 303/297-1192, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. MST. (If you have purchased any license from the Colorado Parks and Wildlife, your CID number is printed on it.)
Anyone wishing to purchase a mountain lion hunting license and hunt mountain lions must complete this course and exam. Guides, outfitters, and houndsmen are encouraged to take the course and exam.
New! Mountain Lion Safety video!
Before taking the exam (at the bottom of this page), please be sure you have read the Mountain Lion Education and Identification Course material.
After taking and passing the exam portion—by scoring 80% or higher—a Mountain Lion Education Certificate and a wallet-size card (both of which include your own, unique identification number) can be printed. (Exam results will be automatically reported to and stored in CPW's licensing system so you may purchase a license. Please allow 1 hour after successfully passing the exam to allow our electronic systems to update your record.) Lion hunters must be "Lion Verified" on their CID to be able to purchase a mountain lion license. Once you have been verified on your CID, you do not need to carry the certificate or wallet card.
How to Take This Exam
- Advance through the exam by using the 'next' button located in the bottom-right corner of each exam screen.
- Enter your name, address, etc. where requested. You must also enter your CID number.
- The exam consists of twenty questions. To answer a question, click the checkbox next to your choice, then advance to the next screen. (You can change your answer while on a question screen, but not after you have advanced to the next screen.)
- You cannot go to a previous screen using 'right-click', and you cannot use the browser 'back' button to go to a previous screen. You may re-start the exam using the browser 'refresh' button or by returning to this page.
- When you reach the Certificate of Completion screen, at the end of the exam, follow the printing instructions. If you make a mistake in printing, you may have to re-take the exam to print your certificate.
You may take the exam as many times as you wish. Good luck!
If you experience any difficulties running the exam, you may need to download the latest version of the Flash player (it's free). Download the Flash Player, then come back to this page, refresh the screen, and begin again.
Questions? Write to AskCPW and put "Mountain Lion Exam" in the subject field.