Food really is not important in short term survival situations. You can live up to three or four weeks without food. No one should starve to death in the continental United States. You will, however, be efficient and alert, and have more confidence if you are able to satisfy your hunger. Don’t get hung up on wild green edibles as they contain cellulose and you cannot digest cellulose.
There are probably many sources of food in your area but it will be necessary to change your way of thinking to recognize them. If you are fortunate enough to get lost in a pinon pine forest, pinon nuts and pine needle tea will keep you alive for a long period of time. Generally speaking, anything that walks, crawls, hops, flies, swims or wiggles is edible. But all must be cooked before eating. Your gun or fishing equipment, assuming you have them, should provide the best means for a meal. Don’t waste more energy catching an animal than you will get from it. Avoid game or fish that appear to be sick, lazy, or act strange. Learn how to make and use snares. You must have enough wire too make a dozen or more snares. Set them over a wide area and hope for the best. Colorado Parks and Wildlife laws and regulations must be followed unless you are in a true survival situation.
There are many ways of acquiring food. For more information, refer to your local library or bookstore. Do remember this. Never eat wild berries or mushrooms. A single mouthful could be enough to kill you. 95 percent of all white and yellow berries are poisonous, 50 percent of all red berries are also poisonous. 85 percent of blue and black berries are edible, but of the remaining 15 percent, about 5 percent will kill you, and the other 10 percent will make you wish you were dead. Best of all, carry enough food with you to sustain you in an emergency.